Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas. Our agenda is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly reimagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions. We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from the global threats of the 21st century.
Take your career to the next level at Third Way. We are committed to the professional development of our staff. As a member of our team, creativity and collaboration are encouraged and expected. Our new office space was specially designed to facilitate team projects and allow for groups large and small to brainstorm, discuss an idea or proposal, or map out a strategy.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
Deputy Director, Climate & Energy
Climate and Energy Program
Third Way is a national think tank that was founded back in 2005 to champion modern center-left ideas. Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. We are proud of the organization that we have built and continue to seek out talent who contribute to our ambitious mission. We are deeply committed to promoting a culture of results and respect where every employee has opportunities to contribute, develop, and grow professionally
Third Way is seeking a candidate who can develop and oversee the execution of federal policy and advocacy strategies across a range of solutions that are vital to address climate change, ensure American competitiveness, and provide well-paying jobs to American workers. The ideal candidate would manage a high-performing team of policy staff working on issues that could include clean energy innovation, low-carbon government procurement, and carbon management. The ideal candidate will have excellent management, organizational, and communication skills; sound political and policy judgment; and a proven ability to learn quickly, think strategically and help a team accomplish its goals.
As the Deputy Director, a typical day might include…
- Setting policy and advocacy strategy, with the policy staff and Director for Policy, to meet the Climate & Energy Program’s impact goals on clean energy innovation, carbon management, and industrial decarbonization issues.
- Overseeing in-depth research and quantitative analysis by your direct reports to help make the case for our policy agenda;
- Editing high-impact reports, memos, and other products that persuasively advance our policy goals and illuminate the climate, economic competitiveness, and political benefits of these actions;
- Spearheading communication with and outreach to the Hill and relevant federal agencies to advocate for policy ideas that would advance Third Way’s climate and energy goals;
- Acting as Third Way’s liaison to leaders in the climate and clean energy communities, industry, and academics, to promote Third Way’s clean energy policy priorities;
- In coordination with the Climate Program Communications team, speaking in the press and at public events to disseminate Third Way’s work and perspective;
- Managing the work of Third Way senior policy advisors, policy advisors, consultants, and coalitions;
- Overseeing the fulfillment of all relevant grant obligations, including reporting requirements.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- have a minimum of five years of experience in clean energy policy or a relevant field
- have managed high-performing staff who meet ambitious project, campaign, or programmatic goals
- want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission
- take pride in and ownership of in your work
- are curious and eager for professional development
- think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly
- communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally
- are motivated and driven by your passion to opportunity, freedom, and security
- want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Deputy Director.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
Third Way is committed to the health, safety and wellness of all employees, candidates, stakeholders, and communities. In support of that commitment, all current and newly hired employees are required to provide proof of Covid-19 full vaccination. Proof of full vaccination status will be required after an offer of employment is extended and accepted. Failure to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the start date will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Third Way offers a flexible, hybrid work environment to support our employees’ healthy work\life balance.