Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas. Our agenda is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly reimagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions. We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from the global threats of the 21st century.
Take your career to the next level at Third Way. We are committed to the professional development of our staff. As a member of our team, creativity and collaboration are encouraged and expected. Our new office space was specially designed to facilitate team projects and allow for groups large and small to brainstorm, discuss an idea or proposal, or map out a strategy.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
Third Way’s Development & External Affairs team is looking for a highly organized and collaborative individual with a passion for fundraising and an understanding of the Democratic political landscape. This position is responsible for managing individual donor prospecting, fundraising-related programming logistics, donor maintenance and research.
As the Development Advisor, a typical day might include…
- Assisting the development team manage the prospect/donor lifecycle;
- Writing acknowledgements to donors, maintaining financial records, and oversee relationship management tracking in the Salesforce database;
- Researching new donor prospects and briefing relevant team members before meetings and calls;
- Helping to plan and execute fundraising events (still virtual); and
- Tracking and processing all invoicing and reporting requirements for incoming donations.
**Please note all duties and events will be completed virtually until Third Way reopens its office which is currently scheduled for Monday January 3, 2022, at which point this position will be located in Washington, D.C.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have 2-3 years of experience in a fundraising role;
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission;
- Are familiar with federal politics and the intricacies of the Democratic Party;
- Practice extreme attention-to-detail;
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally;
- Feel comfortable interacting with VIPs and are committed to a high level of customer service;
- Can work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines;
- Take pride in and ownership of your work;
- Are curious and eager for professional development;
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly; and
- Want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Development Advisor.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
- Start getting acquainted with the Salesforce database.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Gain an understanding each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders of Third Way. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. This will also afore you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Have written a Thank You note to a prospect and put together briefing documents for a VIP donor call.
- Tracked updates on donor outreach in the database and work with DEA team members on developing next steps.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90-day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.