Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas. Our agenda is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly reimagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions. We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from the global threats of the 21st century.
Take your career to the next level at Third Way. We are committed to the professional development of our staff. As a member of our team, creativity and collaboration are encouraged and expected. Our new office space was specially designed to facilitate team projects and allow for groups large and small to brainstorm, discuss an idea or proposal, or map out a strategy.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
External Affairs Coordinator
Third Way is seeking an External Affairs Coordinator to provide support for Third Way’s public events, political relationship tracking, and outreach strategy as part of our External Affairs team. The Coordinator will be responsible for organizing and executing high-impact events (virtual until further notice), planning and staffing public and private convenings that build relationships with political influencers, keeping the team’s outreach strategy organized and on track, and helping the team maintain strong communication and coordination with key external partners. This work will directly advance Third Way’s political and policy objectives in the new Administration and Congress, and help shape the organization’s efforts both in DC and nationally as we head into the 2022 elections and beyond.
As the External Affairs Coordinator, a typical day might include…
- Planning and executing a constant stream of public events and briefings to raise the profile of our work and ideas on the Hill, in the press, and with leaders in the Democratic Party;
- Developing and coordinating off-the-record events and private convenings with key influencers to facilitate communication and build relationships, including on sensitive political topics;
- Tracking Third Way’s political relationships in Salesforce and leveraging the database to implement strategies to further the organization’s partnerships and reach among Democratic influencers;
- Coordinating day-to-day logistics of the External Affairs team’s outreach including scheduling and putting together briefings;
- Working closely with Third Way’s senior staff to manage relationships with key external partners and develop new ones, create synergy with allies, and ensure that their work is elevated in our convenings and events; and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
**Please note all duties and events will be completed virtually until Third Way has established a return-to-work plan, at which point this position will be located in Washington, D.C.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have a bachelor’s degree and/or a minimum of one to two years of relevant experience in an administrative, coordinator, event planning, or similar role;
- Are familiar with federal politics and the intricacies of the Democratic Party;
- Have a demonstrated ability to plan and execute complex events;
- Have excellent attention to detail and comfort with multi-tasking;
- Have experience with Salesforce and other databases;
- Have knowledge of Zoom and other virtual event platforms;
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission;
- Take pride in and ownership of your work;
- Are curious and eager for professional development;
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly;
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally;
- Are motivated and driven by your passion for opportunity, freedom, and security; and
- Want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest External Affairs Coordinator.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Gain an understanding of each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Have organized and executed your first national event (virtual at first, in-person later).
- Take part in high-level meetings with senior staff to plot out Third Way’s political outreach strategy.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90 day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.