Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas. Our agenda is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly reimagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions. We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from the global threats of the 21st century.
Take your career to the next level at Third Way. We are committed to the professional development of our staff. As a member of our team, creativity and collaboration are encouraged and expected. Our new office space was specially designed to facilitate team projects and allow for groups large and small to brainstorm, discuss an idea or proposal, or map out a strategy.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
- Education Press Coordinator
- Policy Advisor for Transportation
- Deputy Director for Innovation and Clean Industry
- Executive Coordinator, Climate and Energy Program
- Communications and Content Advisor, Alliance for Entrepreneurial Equity
- Policy Advisor, Alliance for Entrepreneurial Equity
- Communications Coordinator, Climate & Energy
- Senior Advocacy Advisor, Social Policy, Education and Politics
- Political Analyst
- Press Advisor
Education Press Coordinator
Social Policy, Education and Politics Program
Third Way is a national think tank that was founded back in 2005 to champion modern center-left ideas. Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. We are proud of the organization that we have built and continue to seek out talent who contribute to our ambitious mission. We are deeply committed to promoting a culture of results and respect where every employee has opportunities to contribute, develop, and grow professionally.
To elevate and expand the reach of Third Way’s higher education work in order to persuade policymakers and those who influence them that students and taxpayers deserve a better return on their investment; to maximize the impact of key research and policy recommendations by gaining visibility in the press and on social media; and to help shape media coverage of the federal higher education conversation to focus on student outcomes. The Education Press Coordinator will help manage existing relationships with press at leading national and local news media publications to deploy our education work and support our efforts to build new and wider networks of higher education influencers. This person will also support efforts to track our press engagement, press hits, and other media-related impact.
As the Education Press Coordinator, a typical day might include…
- Working with the education team to support comprehensive advocacy campaigns that market Third Way’s higher education research and ideas to policymakers, press, and influencers inside and outside the beltway and raise the profile of our higher education ideas and experts;
- Drafting pitch notes, editorial board memos, and other collateral tailored to specific audiences (i.e. region, position, role, relationship) that convey our perspective and data in the most accessible way on timely topics in the news; and
- Maintaining and updating comprehensive press lists, managing media inquiries, identifying media opportunities, and tracking coverage of Third Way’s education team in the news;
- Working to build new relationships with relevant reporters, columnists, podcasts, and other outlets covering higher education;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
This might be the job for you if you have…
- 1-2 years’ experience in higher education policy, advocacy, or communications
- interest in federal higher education policy and a passion for improving student outcomes in our higher education system;
- an ability to identify relevant opportunities for outreach and develop smart pitches and tailored press materials to shape the media conversation;
- a basic understanding of the digital and traditional media landscapes;
- good judgment and demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders and partners in an environment with complex political dynamics; and,
- make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Education Press Coordinator.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program, including meeting your Third Way Buddy, being introduced to the entire staff, and starting to learn the TW’s culture.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Share coffee with the Senior Vice President for Social Policy, Education, and Politics and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
- Understand all aspects of the education team, including our strategic goals and tactics for the year ahead.
- Learn how to communicate in Third Way voice and have a general understanding of our messaging around complex and sensitive social policy and political issues; and,
- Begin to build and deepen key relationships with stakeholders and press.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s broader contributions to TW’s mission.
- Participate in at least one of our internal Professional Development trainings.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace; and,
- Work closely with the Deputy Director of Education and the broader Third Way Communications team to develop and execute a press strategy for the release of at least one major Third Way education product.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work;
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager;
- Complete your 90 day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager;
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year; and,
- Manage and update the higher education press list, help draft pitch notes, and support the team in getting earned media placements.
Third Way is committed to the health, safety and wellness of all employees, candidates, stakeholders, and communities. In support of that commitment, all current and newly hired employees are required to provide proof of Covid-19 full vaccination. Proof of full vaccination status will be required after an offer of employment is extended and accepted. Failure to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the start date will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Third Way offers a flexible, hybrid work environment to support our employees’ healthy work\life balance.