Third Way is a think tank that answers America's challenges with modern ideas aimed at the center-left. We advocate for private-sector economic growth, a smart national security strategy, a clean energy revolution, and progress on divisive social issues, all through pragmatic U.S. politics.
The Third Way Adam Solomon Intern Program introduces highly motivated graduate students, with an interest in policy analysis and development, to the process of advancing a 21st century progressive agenda. Interns will gain hands-on experience working closely with Third Way's senior management team, which has extensive political, communications, and policy experience, forged at every level of government and advocacy: the White House, federal agencies, the House and Senate, presidential campaigns, and national non-profit advocacy organizations.
The Third Way Internship Program was named in 2009 in memory of our former Vice Chairman, Adam Solomon, who believed that progressives must re-think our ideas for a new era. He believed deeply in public service and was instrumental in creating Third Way.
Third Way offers paid internships in our Washington, D.C. office. The number of positions and area of responsibility varies by semester, but each offers an exciting opportunity to work on projects that will make an important and lasting contribution. Third Way internships are especially well suited for students with an interest in the intersection of politics and public policy. Previous Third Way interns have secured full-time positions in the federal government, nonprofit advocacy sector, and private industry after graduation. Please see below for more details about the positions available and how to apply.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
Business Operations Intern
Third Way is a national think tank that was founded back in 2005 to champion modern center-left ideas. Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security.
We are proud of the organization that we have built and continue to seek out talent who contribute to our ambitious mission. We are deeply committed to promoting a culture of results and respect where every employee has opportunities to contribute, develop, and grow professionally.
The Operations Intern is responsible for maintaining the front office and common areas to ensure operational effectiveness. The Operations Intern will work closely with the Office Operations Manager to provide administrative support to the Business Operations team and the Chief Operating Officer.
As the Operations Intern, a typical day might include…
- Providing high-level customer service to all TW staff and visitors
- Maintaining organization/tidiness of all common areas (i.e. Pantry, Workroom, Huddle Booths, Conference Rooms, Reception Area)
- Ensuring that conference spaces are always equipped with necessary supplies
- Assist with ensuring COVID-level cleanliness of common spaces
- Assisting with Pantry and Office supply restocking and inventory process
- Ensuring the set-up and take-down of conference rooms for meetings and other events
- Receiving and distributing all mail and packages
- Receiving all deliveries and taking action as needed
RECEPTION/FRONT DESK COVERAGE
- Welcoming all guests and alerting the appropriate party
- Answering the mainline and routing calls accordingly
- Maintaining newspapers and periodicals and ensuring they are current
- Maintaining reception area
- Scheduling, as needed
- Updating documents, manuals, and other business materials as requested
- Providing administrative support for meetings and events
Performing other related duties as required.
**Please note that this role is 100% in-office. Any associated job offer will be contingent upon Third Way's full office reopening, currently scheduled for June 6, 2022. No duties or responsibilities will be completed virtually.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Want to be a part of a dynamic work environment.
- Enjoy keeping a tidy space.
- Pay attention to details and take pride in your work.
- Are curious and eager to learn.
- Can think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly.
- Have excellent interpersonal communication (written/oral) skills.
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission.
- Are curious and eager for professional development.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who foster divergent thinking and aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and foster the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
Interns work part-time and are paid $17.00/hour.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.