Facts to Prepare Dems for “Soft-On-Crime” Attacks
As we approach the general election, Republicans will ramp up their “soft-on-crime attacks” on Democrats. But our research has found that murder rates are higher in red states, and Democrats are actually much better at funding the police than Republicans. Here are some facts on crime and policing that Democrats can use to push back this fall.
- Per capita murder rates in 2020 were 40% higher in states won by Donald Trump than those won by Joe Biden.
- 8 out of the 10 states with the highest murder rates voted for the Republican presidential nominee in every election this century.
- The murder capital of California—Bakersfield, a Republican-led city—is located in House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy’s district. It has a murder rate two times that of Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s San Francisco.
- Republican Jacksonville, Florida has a murder rate more than three times that of New York City.
- If Senator Scott’s Contract with America passed and a 25% reduction in federal workforce was applied evenly, nearly 50,000 federal law enforcement personnel would lose their jobs.
- The 25 largest Democrat-run cities employ 75% more police officers per capita than the 25 largest Republican-run cities.
- The 25 largest Democrat-run cities spend 38% more on policing per capita than the 25 largest Republican-run cities.