Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas. Our agenda is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly reimagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions. We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from the global threats of the 21st century.
Take your career to the next level at Third Way. We are committed to the professional development of our staff. As a member of our team, creativity and collaboration are encouraged and expected. Our new office space was specially designed to facilitate team projects and allow for groups large and small to brainstorm, discuss an idea or proposal, or map out a strategy.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
Senior Policy Advisor for Nuclear Exports
Climate and Energy Program
Third Way is seeking a candidate who can conduct analysis, develop, and advocate for policies that would accelerate the safe exporting of advanced civilian nuclear power plants, particularly from the United States to Europe, as a key tool to expand clean, secure, affordable, reliable energy resources on both sides of the Atlantic. This ideal candidate would research and draft high-impact written materials to persuade policymakers and those who influence them that it is in the vital economic, security, and climate interest of the United States to export advanced nuclear technologies and provide recommendations on how to accomplish this goal. Issues covered could include, but not be limited to financing exports, non-proliferation, national and nuclear security, and economic opportunities for both the US and our partners. This position would be part of Third Way’s civilian nuclear team and work closely with colleagues who focus on clean energy innovation, competitiveness, and European clean energy policy.
As the Senior Policy Advisor for Nuclear Power, a typical day might include…
- Overseeing in-depth, original-source research and quantitative analysis to better understand and explain the importance of accelerating the export of advanced nuclear power plants energy as tool to create an important domestic advanced nuclear sector, reduce emissions, and deepen US ties to critical allies;
- Conceiving of and authoring high-impact reports, memos, and other products that persuasively illuminate the economic, security, and climate opportunities for, and obstacles to, exporting US advanced nuclear power plants.
- Analyzing proposed policy ideas; determining their ability to promote the export of innovative nuclear technologies in a way that helps further US climate, economic, security, and non-proliferation goals; and assessing the policies’ impact on emissions and economic and jobs outcomes;
- Spearheading communication with and outreach to the Hill and relevant federal and international agencies to advocate for policy ideas that would advance Third Way’s nuclear-related goals;
- Acting as Third Way’s nuclear energy liaison to leaders in the climate and clean energy communities, the security and non-proliferation communities, industry, and academics, to promote Third Way’s climate and energy agenda;
- Identifying and executing on opportunities to build a stronger international framework of awareness and policy support for advanced nuclear technologies;
- Speaking in the press and at public events to disseminate Third Way’s work and perspective;
- Managing the work of Third Way’s fellows, consultants, coalitions, and councils to maximize impact of products, events, and communications from our staff and our allies;
- Overseeing the fulfillment of all nuclear-related grant obligations, including reporting requirements;
This might be the job for you, if you have…
- have a degree in a relevant public policy field
- have a minimum of five years experience in nuclear exports, trade or other relevant field
- want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission.
- take pride in and ownership of in your work.
- are curious and eager for professional development.
- think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly.
- communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally.
- are motivated and driven by your passion to opportunity, freedom, and security.
- want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Senior Policy Advisor for Nuclear.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
Within 1 month, you'll...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
Within 2 months, you'll...
- Gain an understanding each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. This will also afore you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Establish relationships with our key allies and expert advisors.
- Engage with policymakers and advocates on U.S. nuclear export policy.
- Lead efforts with partner organizations to assess potential global demand for U.S. advanced nuclear reactors and analyze the policy implications of this demand.
Within 3 months, you'll...
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90 day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
Third Way is committed to the health, safety, and wellness of all employees, candidates, stakeholders, and communities. In support of that commitment, all current and newly hired employees are required to provide proof of Covid-19 full vaccination. Proof of full vaccination status will be required after an offer of employment is extended and accepted. Failure to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the start date will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Third Way offers a flexible, hybrid work environment to support our employees’ healthy work\life balance.