The Third Way Adam Solomon Intern Program introduces highly motivated graduate students, with an interest in policy analysis and development, to the process of advancing a 21st century progressive agenda. Interns will gain hands‐on experience working closely with Third Way’s senior management team, which has extensive political, communications, and policy experience, forged at every level of government and advocacy: the White House, federal agencies, the House and Senate, presidential campaigns, and national non‐profit advocacy organizations.
Third Way is a think tank that answers America’s challenges with modern ideas aimed at the center. We advocate for private-sector economic growth, a tough and smart centrist security strategy, a clean energy revolution, and progress on divisive social issues, all through a moderate-led U.S. politics.
The Third Way Internship Program was named in 2009 in memory of our former Vice Chairman, Adam Solomon, who believed that progressives must re-think our ideas for a new era. He believed deeply in public service and was instrumental in creating Third Way.
Communications Strategy Internship
Third Way’s Communications team is looking for a smart, creative, and enthusiastic person to work side-by-side with Third Way staff to cultivate and maintain strategic relationships with DC decision makers, the national press, and influential thinkers in the policy world. Third Way’s Communications internship offers hands-on experience at the intersection of politics and press.
Examples of our impact include:
- Third Way ideas and staff are frequently cited in major news outlets including The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The New York Times, Roll Call, POLITICO and others;
- Third Way staff is called on to offer commentary & analysis by broadcast media. Our staff is regularly featured on MSNBC, ABC News, CNN, NBC, Fox, CBS , the BBC, NPR and almost all major cable political programs;
- Events co-hosted and attended by Senate & House leadership, elite media, and leaders in the advocacy community.
Interns are an integral part of our team, and they work on a variety of tasks that are critical to our communications strategy, including:
- Research & Writing: Interns conduct research on media trends and changing media platforms. They draft text for press pitches, talking points, and copy-edit. They also assist staff with infographics, op-eds, reports, and newsletters.
- Social Media: Interns help develop daily content to advance Third Way’s social media and networking presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr;
- Events: Interns assist with the planning and execution of all Third Way program events.
- Relationship Building: Interns maintain the Third Way distribution lists and track our interactions with press using various customer relations management databases.
- Candidates must be a college graduate or graduate student with an interest in and knowledge of the intersection of public policy, national politics, and journalism/media.
- Research Skills: We’re looking for someone who is a whiz on the Internet—checking quotes, chasing down facts, digging up poll results and election returns, able to distinguish between reliable and unreliable sources.
- Administrative skills: Your duties include scheduling, and proofing essays and infographics, so attention to detail and organization is a must;
- Ability to prioritize/handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines;
- Strong computer skills, with excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience using NGPVAN is preferred but not required.
THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP
Third Way’s Outreach team is looking for an outgoing undergraduate or graduate student to assist the organization with the development and maintenance of strategic relationships with its external partners. In this position you will be working on a small team and interacting with all policy programs within the organization. Additionally, you will be given the opportunity to develop a long-term project and participate in career seminars with senior staff.
- Research & Writing: The Outreach intern drafts heavily researched briefing materials on specific policy issues, as well as potential new partners for use by senior staff. Track and monitor relevant legislative and media activity.
- Events: The Outreach intern assists with the set-up and execution of Third Way events with the Administration, Members of Congress, and other partner organizations. Additionally, the Outreach intern will have the opportunity to attend relevant events, hearings, and briefings.
- Administrative: The Outreach intern will play a vital role in event tracking, acknowledgement letters, and general maintenance of the department’s records and database management.
- Candidates must be a current college student, a college graduate, or a graduate student with an interest in and knowledge of public policy, national politics, communications, and public affairs. A passion for moderate politics in addition to prior relevant internship experience is strongly preferred.
- Writing and Organizational Skills: The Outreach intern be responsible for developing written materials and conducting analytical research for senior Third Way staff and Hill offices, requiring extreme attention to detail, consistency, and the ability to communicate effectively. Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability of meeting strict deadlines is critical.
- Event Management and Communications Skills: The Outreach intern will provide support at Third Way events and must be an enthusiastic representative of the organization, possessing strong interpersonal skills. Experience in planning and working events is preferred.
- Strong computer skills, with excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Experience using NGPVAN is preferred, but not required.
THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP
The Administrative Intern is responsible for manning the front desk, maintaining Third Way's common areas, and assisting with the day to day operations of the office. They report to the Office Manager and are an integral member of Third Way's administrative team. The position has the following areas of responsibility:
- Provide a high level of customer service to all TW staff and TW guests
- Ensure that all common areas are well maintained and stocked
- Ensure that conference areas are always orderly
- Set-up and take-down conference room for meetings and other events
- Maintain the TW conference room calendars
- Send, receive, and distribute all mail, faxes, and packages
- Support all catering orders and quarterly celebrations
- Front office management
- Provide general administrative support
- Light scheduling
- Monthly expense reports
- Support for internal and occasionally external meetings
- Maintain TW Administration Bulletin Board with creative ideas
- Assist in drafting the monthly Employee Newsletter
- Maintain the TW office library system
- Perform other related duties as required
- Current student or recent college graduate
- Excellent computer and MS Office Suite skills
- Very high level of attention to detail and ability to work well under deadlines
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Discretion at handling confidential documents and information
THIS IS A PAID INTERNSHIP
How to Apply:
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. You may apply for the following sessions: Fall (September‐ December), Spring (January‐ May) or Summer (June‐ August). Incomplete applications will not be considered. EOE.
Please send the following to email@example.com.
- Cover Letter
- Short writing sample
- References (professor/current or recent employer)
When applying, please reference the semester and program in which you are interested within the subject line of your email (e.g. Spring Internship).
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer – women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Fresh Thinking Delivered To Your Inbox
Subscribe to receive email alerts for our products and events and customize your subscription to suit your areas of interest. Your email will never be shared with any third party, and you can unsubscribe at any time.