Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas. Our agenda is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly reimagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions. We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from the global threats of the 21st century.
Take your career to the next level at Third Way. We are committed to the professional development of our staff. As a member of our team, creativity and collaboration are encouraged and expected. Our new office space was specially designed to facilitate team projects and allow for groups large and small to brainstorm, discuss an idea or proposal, or map out a strategy.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
Policy Advisor for Carbon Removal
Climate and Energy Program
Third Way is a national think tank that was founded back in 2005 to champion modern center-left ideas. Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. We are proud of the organization that we have built and continue to seek out talent who contribute to our ambitious mission. We are deeply committed to promoting a culture of results and respect where every employee has opportunities to contribute, develop, and grow professionally.
As the Policy Advisor for Carbon Removal, a typical day might include…
- Authoring high-impact reports, memos, and other written products that persuasively illuminate opportunities for carbon removal, with a particular focus on developing and deploying technological solutions;
- Developing and assessing policy proposals designed to accelerate deployment of carbon removal solutions;
- Representing the program and its carbon removal policy priorities in interactions with technical experts, other NGOs, federal agencies, innovators, industry representatives, and policymakers;
- Participating in and helping organize workshops, briefings, and other activities with a variety of stakeholders to highlight and promote carbon removal policy; and
- Working with other members of Third Way’s Climate and Energy, Communications, and External Engagement teams to plan and execute advocacy and communications strategies.
This might be the job for you if you…
- have at least two years of experience in public policy, advocacy, or another related field (background in CDR is helpful, but not required).
- have a demonstrated ability to build and coordinate coalitions.
- regularly spot new opportunities to help you and your team achieve your goals.
- want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission.
- take pride in and ownership of your work.
- are curious and eager for professional development.
- think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly.
- communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally.
- are motivated and driven by your passion to opportunity, freedom, and security.
- want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Policy Advisor for Carbon Removal.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
Within 1 month, you'll...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Become familiar with Third Way’s carbon management policy effort and how it fits into the larger Climate and Energy Program’s work to decarbonize the economy.
- Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
Within 2 months, you'll...
- Gain an understanding of each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Establish relationships with our key allies and participate in stakeholder meetings on Third Way’s behalf.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders of Third Way. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. This will also afford you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
Within 3 months, you'll...
- Represent Third Way in meetings and webinars with leaders in the energy policy community on carbon dioxide removal.
- Publish your first written product and lead the planning and execution of an in-person event.
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
Third Way is committed to the health, safety and wellness of all employees, candidates, stakeholders, and communities. In support of that commitment, all current and newly hired employees are required to provide proof of Covid-19 full vaccination. Proof of full vaccination status will be required after an offer of employment is extended and accepted. Failure to provide proof of full vaccination prior to the start date will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
Third Way offers a flexible, hybrid work environment to support our employees’ healthy work\life balance.