Senior Policy Advisor for the National Security Program
Third Way is seeking a Senior Policy Advisor for the National Security Program. This is a high profile, high impact, senior level policy position. Reporting to the Vice President for the National Security Program, this position is part of Third Way’s National Security team.
Third Way is an innovative and influential think-tank that creates and advances moderate policy and political ideas. We advocate for private-sector economic growth, a tough and smart security strategy, a clean energy revolution, bold education and anti-poverty reforms, and progress on divisive culture issues.
The goal of the National Security program is to distill and champion centrist security ideas. As one of four Third Way program areas, the National Security Program has been a trusted policy voice on Capitol Hill. The Program’s successes have been featured widely in the press, and Third Way’s security policies and ideas have been adopted by leading voices in the House, Senate, and previous administrations.
Primary responsibilities include researching, developing and writing policy and message documents on major national security issues before Congress. The Senior Policy Advisor also represents Third Way at external meetings with policymakers and advocacy organizations. A detailed knowledge of national security issues with a specific subspecialty, very strong research and writing skills, good sense of humor and the ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment are required. Reporting to the Program Vice President, this position is part of Third Way’s National Security team.
This position affords qualified candidates with an extraordinary opportunity to help grow and brand a vibrant and important part of the progressive governing and political infrastructure. Our workplace is diverse, inclusive, collegial, and family-friendly.
- Educational level: A Bachelor’s degree is required, and a graduate or law degree is strongly preferred.
- Experience: Candidates should have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working in the policy or advocacy arena, Capitol Hill or politics. A strong network of Hill and national security contacts is preferred.
- Policy Expertise: In addition to a strong general background in national security, candidates should have demonstrated experience with legislative or federal policymaking. Candidates with policy experience in non-proliferation, counterterrorism, cybersecurity, European security or defense are preferred.
- Creativity and entrepreneurship: Candidates should be prepared to work with a team that thinks outside-the-box and challenges existing orthodoxies. Candidates must be prepared to formulate new policy ideas and aggressively promote them.
- Writing and Analysis: Candidates must have proven ability to write compelling and high-impact products, as well as the ability to contextualize policy debates for policymakers. Familiarity with quantitative analysis or public opinion is preferred.
- Communications: Candidates must have strong public presentation ability. Experience in working with the media is preferred.
- Teamwork: Candidates should enjoy working in an extremely collaborative organization – collaboration with both Third Way senior management and policy staff.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects within specified time frames and multi-task various assignments
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Discretion handling confidential information
Skills, Traits, Beliefs
- Self-starting: Third Way seeks people who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborative: Third Way works in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creative: Third Way fosters divergent thinking that isn’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their own preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: Third Way has an organization-wide commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
Competitive compensation and benefits
How to Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com with “National Security – Senior Policy Advisor” as the subject line.
FRESH THINKING DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Subscribe to receive email alerts for our products and events and customize your subscription to suit your areas of interest. Your email will never be shared with any third party, and you can unsubscribe at any time.