Policy Advisor for the Economic Program
Third Way is seeking a Policy Advisor to play a lead role in the Economic Program. Specifically, this position will analyze, create, and advance a broad range of federal policies in the economic arena—with a focus on workforce development and training.
Third Way is an innovative and influential think tank that creates and advances moderate policy and political ideas. We advocate for expanding economic opportunity, a tough and smart security strategy, a clean energy revolution, bold education reforms, and progress on divisive culture issues
About the Position
An understanding of economics and experience analyzing worker training issues are required. Strong research and writing skills are also essential, as is the ability to work in a collaborative environment. The position works closely with the team’s other members and reports to the Vice President of the Economic Program. Responsibilities include:
- Researching, developing, and drafting high-impact and concise written products that unpack problems in the economy and offer innovative policy solutions.
- Conducting in-depth, original-source research and quantitative analysis.
- Distilling complex issues into succinct and accessible formats including policy briefings, memos, and presentations.
- Acting as a liaison with key constituencies, such as policymakers and their staff, industry leaders, advocates, and academics.
- Monitoring and analyzing online databases, media, and reports from government, NGOs, and academia.
- Completing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications and skills:
- Graduate degree in public policy, economics, or a related field;
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience working on economic issues, including specific experience analyzing worker training policy;
- Quantitative experience—including the ability to work with datasets and Excel; and
- Experience conducting original-source research using databases and publicly available resources to develop fresh academic, policy, or trend analysis.
Unlike traditional think tanks, we do not house scholars who work in silos on academic research. Instead, we are built around policy teams that create high-impact products to influence today’s major policy debates. The ideal candidate would thrive in a culture that is:
- Self-starting: We seek people who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborative: We work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing our shared priorities.
- Creative: We foster divergent thinking that isn’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. We come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge our own preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: We run Third Way with an organization-wide commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
Competitive compensation and benefits
Submit cover letter, resume, one short writing sample (1-3 pages), and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Policy Advisor - Economic Program” as the subject line.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume, writing samples, and salary requirements to: email@example.com with "Policy Advisor for the Economic Program" in the subject line. Third Way is an equal opportunity employer – women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
FRESH THINKING DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Subscribe to receive email alerts for our products and events and customize your subscription to suit your areas of interest. Your email will never be shared with any third party, and you can unsubscribe at any time.