The Future of Workforce Development
In the 2014 State of the Union, President Obama asked Vice President Biden to lead the federal effort to ensure the American workforce is prepared to meet the demands of the 21st century economy. In support of that effort, Vice President Biden and Secretary of Labor Tom Perez joined Third Way President Jon Cowan and a panel of experts to discuss replicable, scalable workforce training ideas.
Following the Vice President's remarks, Third Way facilitated a conversation with those workforce experts, chosen from leading community and technical colleges, companies and trade associations, direct service providers, and labor groups.
That round table discussion resulted in a follow-up report, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Workforce Programs", that outlines the seven key traits of successful programs—from treating education like a job, to using labor market data to drive decisions. As agencies look to reinvent federal programs, we hope this in-depth research can be a valuable tool, helping American workers thrive in a globalized economy.
- Ashwin Bharath Pushpanayagam, COO, Multivision, Inc.
- Barbara Veazey, President and CEO, West Kentucky Community and Technical College
- Debra Shephard, President, Lake Area Technical Institute
- Doris Gonzalez, Director, Corporate Citizenship and Corporate Affairs in the America, IBM Corporation
- Earl Buford, President and CEO, Wisconsin Regional Training Partnership/BIG STEP
- Edward Gordon, Founder and Owner, Imperial Consulting Corporation
- Karen Sitnick, Director, Workforce Investment Board of Baltimore City
- Maureen Conway, Executive Director, Economic Opportunities Program, The Aspen Institute
- Michael Callanan, Executive Director, National Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Electrical Industry (NJATC)
- Patrick Cushing, CEO and Co-Founder, WorkHands
- Rufus Glasper, Chancellor, Maricopa Community Colleges
- Shaila Ittycheria, Co-Founder, Enstitute
- Steve VanAusdle, President, Walla Walla Community College
- William Hite, General President, The United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry of the United States and Canada
Biden: Job Training Key for a Strong Middle-Class -U.S. News & World Report
Vice President Biden talks jobs and workforce development (video) -Washington Business Journal
June 04, 2014
3:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Ronald Reagan Building -- Atrium Ballroom
1300 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. - 20004
FRESH THINKING DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Subscribe to receive email alerts for our products and events and customize your subscription to suit your areas of interest. Your email will never be shared with any third party, and you can unsubscribe at any time.