Collision Course: Why the Fight for Fiscal Sustainability Must Continue
When it comes to U.S. budget priorities, critical public investments in programs like NASA, K-12 education, public health, infrastructure, and clean energy R&D are on a collision course with interest payments on our debt and other mandatory spending, including Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.
On Monday, March 24th, 2014, Third Way hosted a panel on how Congress can make progress this year to improve our nation's fiscal outlook. The event featured opening remarks by House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer, followed by a discussion with Carmel Martin, Executive Vice President for Policy at the Center for American Progress, and Third Way's Senior Vice President for Policy Jim Kessler, and moderated by veteran journalist Jill Lawrence.
Below are videos of Representative Hoyer's remarks and the panel discussion, as well as photos, and selected headlines from the event.
Representative Hoyer's remarks as prepared for delivery.
- "Hoyer: America still on collision course despite budget cease-fire" - The Hill
- "Hoyer: Congress should lay 'groundwork' for grand bargain budget deal" - The Hill
- "Hoyer: GOP snubbed broad budget talks" - The Hill
- "Hoyer Says It's Crunch Time For a Grand Bargain" - TIME
- "Hoyer Renews Call for 'Grand Bargain" - Roll Call
- "Top Dem Hints at Forbidden Entitlement Cuts" - The Fiscal Times
- "The week ahead in economics" - Washington Examiner
- "Ukraine aid bill moves ahead in U.S. Senate, still faces hurdles" - Reuters
- "Steny Hoyer Calls for a 'Grand Bargain" - The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
Additional pictures from this event are available via Flickr.
March 24, 2014
11:00 AM to 1:30 PM
Union Station, Columbus Club
50 Massachusetts Ave NE
Washington, D.C. - 20002
FRESH THINKING DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Subscribe to receive email alerts for our products and events and customize your subscription to suit your areas of interest. Your email will never be shared with any third party, and you can unsubscribe at any time.